Phil Milner: Legend
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil, Jiyu Kumite

+3
thornton
Ninj
josh johnson
7 posters

Go down

Phil, Jiyu Kumite Empty Phil, Jiyu Kumite

Post  josh johnson Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:22 am

Here's a picture of Phil and Josh sparring at a demonstration. (Harrogate Hospital 1976)
Best place to be after a session with Phil.
Phil, Jiyu Kumite New-0610
josh johnson
josh johnson

http://www.wakefield-karate-college.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Phil, Jiyu Kumite Empty Sparring

Post  Ninj Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:30 am

Note the 'No Pads' years before the Health & Safety took a hold. When bone met bone it was horrible!

I remember taking my 2nd Kyu in JuJitsu around 1984 and it was at the Farr Community Hall and I was taking it with Shaun Wagstaff. We came to the 25 throws section of the grading and asked Arnie if we should "Get the mats out". To which Phil growled, "Mats. You don't have mats in the street!" They all hurt, as the floor was concrete. The worst being 'Tomenage', Shaun proceeded to throw me and I landed against a wall with my foot taking the full brunt!

It still smarts to this day :-)

Cheers

Ninj
Ninj
Ninj

http://www.freestyleuk.com

Back to top Go down

Phil, Jiyu Kumite Empty photos

Post  thornton Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:34 am

Is it my computer or something but I can't access any photos with any of the topics ..... they've all disappeared! Strange.

thornton

Back to top Go down

Phil, Jiyu Kumite Empty Re: Phil, Jiyu Kumite

Post  MORLEY Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:18 am

must be your pc i can see them but on some gotta go to page at on toolbar and move from right to left to see all of it
MORLEY
MORLEY

Back to top Go down

Post  thornton Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:38 am

Morley,

Thanks for that. The problem's now been sorted.

Re the pic. It's strange to see a still of Phil during a sparing session: it takes away all the speed and raw intent that was Phil.

thornton

Back to top Go down

Phil, Jiyu Kumite Empty Pics

Post  Ninj Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:00 am

thornton wrote:Is it my computer or something but I can't access any photos with any of the topics ..... they've all disappeared! Strange.

Hi Thornton

It's happened to me on occasion. I think it's when the hosting site is having any difficulty. They soon come back though...

Cheers

Ninj
Ninj
Ninj

Back to top Go down

Phil, Jiyu Kumite Empty a great dad.....phil milner

Post  vixen Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:26 am

i often look on the net and type in his name for some reason and i came across this one, i cant believe the amount of things he did, i know he did a lot but theres so much to know, i remember lots of names and faces off here as i trained with some when i was a little girl. phil taught me from age 5, in 1982-83 till i was about 10 and he taught me well, i took my kids to join a few clubs but never gone back as the training looks so camp to how phil taught me, barefoot runs and feet 6" with knives or nails under your feet, punching dried peas and loads more, he took me on a barefoot run at foxhouse i think it was, it was in the newspaper and i believe my name was in for being the youngest on it. he didn't make me do press-ups in the river though, bless him, i sat and watched you all while wearing petchi's top to keep warm i believe. well i will keep looking, thanks, will show phils youngest son, danny philip all these sights as i bet he'd been fascinated.....ta.........for ...now.....................if anyone remembers me ( vicki ) or my mum, jill and brother justin anson who also trained......cheers...............................

vixen

Back to top Go down

Phil, Jiyu Kumite Empty Re Phil

Post  thornton Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:46 am

Hi,

You must feel deeply touched by the stories and sentiments on this site in relation to Phil - your dad. It was a true lesson in life to train with him and to know him. He was a one-off in terms of the martial arts.

Regards

thornton

Back to top Go down

Phil, Jiyu Kumite Empty Welcome aboard Vixen

Post  Ninj Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:23 am

I started the site as I was fed up of there being nothing really of note on the internet to record the legend that was your father. He was a remarkable man, an inspiration and true Martial Arts great. We all loved him dearly, he has left such a huge void. You must be very proud.

I'm so glad you've found us, sit back and enjoy all the anecdotes from his legion of followers. Nearly everyone you meet in the Martial Arts will have a Phil Milner tale to tell...

Kind regards

Dave
Ninj
Ninj

Back to top Go down

Phil, Jiyu Kumite Empty phil

Post  vixen Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:50 am

he used to tell me loads of things when i was little what he had done and people he'd met, if there was one word i could never speak it was "cant" he said the word didn't exist and that i always could, looking back now he was right..........i'm loving reading things on here as i never knew him before he met my mum so theres a whole different life to hear about and of course so many people, karate clubs etc, i keep laughing at the pics of him when he had hair, so strange to see........ha ha ha..........i'm in sheffield so if anyone can name me a good club to take my kids training it would be appreciated as i mentioned before some are too soft or was it phil was too hard.............well i aint seen a bunch of barefooted people in karate suits running past since he passed so it must of been...i never had so many thorns in my feet........ha ha. well i could gabble on all day so best leave a bit of room for you guys...............thanks for the evermore memories, will keep having a look.........cheers ninj................

vixen

Back to top Go down

Post  c j needham Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:28 pm

just found this site nice to see that phil will now be remember i meet him when traing with tony baker my sensay it was a truely great honure to have met and work under master milner

c j needham

Back to top Go down

Phil, Jiyu Kumite Empty VICKI

Post  Ian whitmore Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:38 am

vixen wrote:i often look on the net and type in his name for some reason and i came across this one, i cant believe the amount of things he did, i know he did a lot but theres so much to know, i remember lots of names and faces off here as i trained with some when i was a little girl. phil taught me from age 5, in 1982-83 till i was about 10 and he taught me well, i took my kids to join a few clubs but never gone back as the training looks so camp to how phil taught me, barefoot runs and feet 6" with knives or nails under your feet, punching dried peas and loads more, he took me on a barefoot run at foxhouse i think it was, it was in the newspaper and i believe my name was in for being the youngest on it. he didn't make me do press-ups in the river though, bless him, i sat and watched you all while wearing petchi's top to keep warm i believe. well i will keep looking, thanks, will show phils youngest son, danny philip all these sights as i bet he'd been fascinated.....ta.........for ...now.....................if anyone remembers me ( vicki ) or my mum, jill and brother justin anson who also trained......cheers...............................

hi Vicki spent a few lost nights round low edges with your dad jill and justin hope you remember me pat brian and craig get in touch

Ian whitmore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down