Phil Milner: Legend
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stanley Royd

2 posters

Go down

Stanley Royd Empty Stanley Royd

Post  Ninj Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:04 am

Stanley Royd Thistl11

The very mention of that Hospital send shivers down my spine. Here I am 1986 taking my 2nd Dan with Ian Large, Bob Gagg an unbelievably fit Iranian chap (can't remember his name) and another 'unknown'.

There I am being 'kindly' whipped with thistles by Roy Petchie and being 'observed' by a young Ken Witham.

What a day! Four hours in blistering heat, lovely jubbly!

Best wishes

Dave
Ninj
Ninj

http://www.freestyleuk.com

Back to top Go down

Stanley Royd Empty More Stanley Royd

Post  Ninj Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:30 am

Stanley Royd Old_gr10
Dan Grading Stanley Royd 1986: Dave Slaney, Bob Gagg, Unknown, Ken Witham, Ian Large, Roy Petchy, Arnie Bestwick, O'Sensei Phil Milner, Phil Barnes, Brian (Cannot remember surname) Unknown.
Ninj
Ninj

Back to top Go down

Stanley Royd Empty Cocktail Sticks!!

Post  Ninj Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:04 am

Stanley Royd Cockta10

So there I am, I turn up for my 2nd Dan grading eager to impress and raring to go. When I had taken my 1st Dan two years previous, there had been a few taking their 2nd Dan. They had spent the morning asking us all questions and wandering around with the 'Ying or Yang' question followed by a swift Oi Zuki to the Solar Plexus. Then they were all called to a corner of the hall, the one pictured here. They then performed their four 2nd Dan Katas then came back to question us poor 1st Kyus.

So, there I was, expecting the same. I'd trained really hard and knew my Katas back to front, so I was 'Well up for it' you might say.

Then it happened, we'd all bowed in and Phil told all those taking their 2nd Dan to go into the corner of the room. "This isn't how it goes" I thought. Phil and Roy then told us to take off our Gi tops and assume Kiba Dachi. A cold shiver went down my spine, "Oh Oh" I thought "This doesn't look good". Roy then told us to put out our arms and to help us do this he placed a cocktail stick under each arm. After being in this position or about an hour my 'Zest' had all but gone. There then followed sit-ups, press ups, more Kiba Dachi with thistle bushes being whipped on fronts and backs. By the time we eventually came round to do our Katas I was knacked.

It was another hot day (it used to be warm at summer in the 80's) and I was pooped. Four hours later we finished and I had passed! So my 1st Dan had taken six hours and my 2nd Dan four hours. Still, when you look back, you wouldn't have it any other way!

Best wishes

Dave
Ninj
Ninj

Back to top Go down

Stanley Royd Empty Re: Stanley Royd

Post  kiddo Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:27 pm

Dave, Stanley Royd dojo always resembled a swimming pool after every course, with everone dripping with sweat. Ken

kiddo

Back to top Go down

Stanley Royd Empty Re: Stanley Royd

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum